Thursday, April 03, 2003

A Parade!

Graduation creeps forward, and in yet another instance of the gradually accumulating evidence for that, I picked up and paid for my graduation cap and gown this morning, which, in all honesty, looks like a set of red curtains. If you ever go to the Jostens website, you'll notice they mostly show people from the neck up. They know what they're doing; oh, and forget all the tommyrot about life achievement, or amazing journeys. The only thing that is really amazing is how much this "journey" is going to cost me. It would not overstate things to say that I am going to detest wearing that ridiculous outfit, but because this upcoming sideshow means something to certain memebers of my family, I will reluctantly play my part. Being paraded in front of a bunch of people who've only come to see one, single, solitary person in a vast two hundred receive their diploma and handshake, which by the way takes about half a minute in a ceremony that lasts for hours, is not necessarily my idea of fun.

Nevertheless, I still have to make it to that point, and as far as that is concerned, things are shaping up to be rather diffcult this last term, which I suppose is good preparation for grad school. Of course, all of the work centers around the usual suspects: novels to read, papers to write, and the work in the writing center I'll have to do. It is just that, this term, there appears to be more of it.