Tuesday, April 22, 2003

The Flood

For some reason, I thought my job at the writing center started at 10:00 a.m. today, but when I arrived, I simultaneously remembered and discovered that I start at 1:00 p.m. Tomorrow is the day I work at 10:00 a.m. I spent a confsued twenty minutes in the writing lab trying to figure out why the other tutor was telling people that there wasn't another tutor available for them. However, the unforseen screw-up was actually quite beneficial in that I was able to complete the Eliot novel that I have been reading. If you haven't read the book already, I'm going to spoil the end for you by saying that the heroine, after being tormented by all of the males in her life, resigns herself to misery just in time to be killed by a flood. While the events of the book sound a little improbable, I sincerely believe the conflicted motivations of the female character - and let's leave that by saying it all seems very modern. There are numerous possibilities for a feminist critique of this novel, which, of course is something that I'm going to have to do for the midterm next week, but I'm not quite sure what I should focus on.

As far as an update on the Cellar here, things are continually going through revision. I think I've discovered a way to add a couple of images to the site, so I'll be focusing on what to add and how over the next month or so. I've also been listed on Blogshares; I'm not exactly sure what this is going to do for me, but I hope it throws a bit more light into the cellar here. Also besides a new quote, check out the astronomy picture of the day.