Friday, April 11, 2003

I look, you look, he look - I publish

Yesterday, I collected my Melville paper from last term, where I argued a deconstructive reading on "The Doubloon" chapter. The professor was enthusiastic about it, and he says that he will enter it into a department wide competition - Winners get a $500 prize. That would be really cool, but I honestly don't think my paper is as good as he is making it out to be. I struggled writing it because (alas) I had waited until the last minute. Consequently, while there are some good ideas in it, I could have developed them more, and tightened up the writing more. My main purpose in meeting with him was to explore how I might get a critical paper, like the Melville one, published. After finding out that some of the my fellow undergraduate nerds (albeit super-SUPER-nerds) of the English literature field have already published papers, I felt that I should at least familiarize myself with the academic publishing process.

But rather than do that right away, I'm steadfastly looking forward to the weekend; I'm headed for the big-city, yet again. I intend to have lots of fun, but for tonight, it's laundry, homework, and plenty of study.