Monday, April 14, 2003

Lost Youth

If you're were someone my age, pre-disposition, and who had plenty of time on your hands, then it is highly likely that - in addition to watching countless episodes of Gilligan's Island, The Jeffersons, and Three's Company after school - you watched The Land of the Lost on Saturday mornings. Recently, because a friend of a friend had several Sid and Marty Krofft television shows (probably most famous for HR Pufnstuf) on DVD, I had occasion to see Land of the Lost again. It is amazing to me how cool I thought that show had been on those mis-spent Saturday mornings - because now, it is so laughable. Besides noticing the obvious repetitious scene of Grumpy - the angry T-rex - charging the camera, I also noticed how ridiculous the foam set now seems, and I wondered how often the dad character, "Rick Marshall," was going to get down on one knee to pick up dirt, touch a dino track, or flash his signal mirror. I can't believe I thought this guy was some proto-McGuyver. (Cripes! I even wanted to change my name to Rick.)

If it has been several years since you have seen this show too, then treat yourself to at least the opening sequence where the main characters - AHHHHHHH! - go over the waterfall. One thing has remained a constant for me, then and now - I always, always, always hated that dweeb Cha-Ka.