Thursday, April 10, 2003

Super Nerd

When I took the GRE's for graduate school, I had to go to the big city, and find the Sylvan learning center, which I did not expect to find next to a store called "Stamp-i-dee-doo-dah" and behind an IHOP. (Think you can't make money selling stamps? Think again.) Taken on a non-descript Saturday, the test was tough. Although I had studied, focusing primarily on the verbal section, I felt stressed out and greatly relieved when it was over. Some friends came by to pick me up, and I did not care where we went. They could've taken me to the zoo, locked me in the inordinately smelly penguin enclosure where I would have certainly been attacked the aforementioned "polar chickens," and I would still have felt relieved that the GRE was over. In spite of all that, I managed to do very well; I got great verbal scores and great analytical scores.

Around that time, several other fellow students were applying to grad school as well, and with an eye for helping them out, I told them how I did it, and loaned them some of my prep books. That might have been a mistake, because about a month later, one student asked me how I did on the GRE. I told him. He then told me that he did horribly: he got below a 40% percentile on his verbal score. That is not good for an English major. Period. At the time he asked me, I had not yet been accepted into graduate school. Well, now I have been, and he found out. I can't communicate the tone, or the manner in which he asked me about my being accepted, but suffice it to say - he appeared unhappy. I asked him if he had been accepted anywhere, and he told me that he was accepted to the same schools I had been. However, if I were to judge how the other professors have treated me over the last month concerning my acheivement, combined with his poor GRE's and general unhappiness, I'm not sure if I believe him. Now, I'm curious. Does this dude habor any ill-will toward me?