Wednesday, May 14, 2003

The Prize

I just found out that I did not win the writing prize for my Herman Melville paper that I had submitted last term at the request of one of my professors, but I was "competitive" and was among the top two or three papers. Although I nearly killed myself writing the silly thing, I knew it had some problems, and therefore, I did not have my hopes up; however, I'm intensely curious about which paper did win and who wrote it - what do the professors consider to be very good writing. I think I'm going to find out when I go to the Outstanding Student Award ceremony on the tuesday after next; my professor mentioned that the winner will read part of her paper before all of the attendees.

As for everything else, work continues to pile up. Besides all of the forms I have to fill out for grad. school, I need to finish my papers and my projects, which admittedly need more of my undivided attention. I am also going to get a cell phone tonight if everything goes according to plans, which, although I probably need a phone as much as the proverbial fish needs a bicycle, is sure to be another - albeit rather cool - distraction from my getting anything actually done.