Thursday, May 08, 2003

Nowhere Dude

About the only thing that really worked for me today was the fact that I finally received my new pair of free glasses; the old ones had broken while they were still on the warranty. I have to tell you that with the perfunctory tape that I had around the eyepiece of my glasses for the last several days really completed the nerd ensemble - I mean nerd warp factor 10. But like I told someone at work yesterday, once you've put tape on your glasses for about the fifteenth time in your life, you get over the nerd thing - mostly. The office where I bought my glasses was packed with people looking to buy sunglasses for the summer, which I believe in our extremely wet and cloudy corner of the country are incredibly unnecessary. Nevertheless, I feel slightly more human and slightly less goofy.

Generally, I spent most of the day developing good intentions to study, but miraculously avoided doing anything. Call it a gift. Although I must have said it several times before, I really am going to begin focusing on my class projects: papers about Laura Esquivel, E.M. Forster, and writing instruction in the classroom. All of the other times I mentioned doing so, I was in fact trying to mentally prepare myself for the tasks ahead and the corresponding commitment to the research and writing work. If I believe that good writing cannot occur the night before an assignment is due, then I have to start walking the walk, instead of talking the talk.