Thursday, May 15, 2003

The evening

Not wanting to spend the entire night in my apartment - normally just a "crash pad", but currently a miserable mess - I drove about fifteen miles out of town to a wildlife refuge where I could read the assigned novel for my British Lit. class without having to look at dirty laundry or papers strewn about my floor; I hiked a steep grassy trail up a broad hill, surprised a herd of deer grazing about twenty feet away from me, and sat in a meadow at thel top where I read my book, listening to the faint summer honking of Canadian Geese swimming in a slough at the bottom. Although I had been to this place several times before, once for a required science class, I was not quite prepared for the awesome display of rain clouds woven into the setting of a soft orange sun. It was somewhat cold, about 50 degrees, and my hands were getting a little numb; Nevertheless, I spent about an hour reading and listening to the brush sparrows flit and chirp overhead. I still haven't completed many of my school projects or papers, but I think that this excursion was refreshing enough to lend new impetus to renewed attempt.