Monday, May 12, 2003

The Money

All of my days of restless, preoccupied, stomach gnawing worry are over because, after my weekly early morning drive from the big city, I checked my dew covered mailbox and finally discovered the financial aid package that I had been waiting for all along, mercifully sent from one of the colleges that accepted me to English graduate school; although I suppose that my days of worry have only been effectively deferred until I eventually transition from my academic career into the real world of work. At this point, it will look as if I will have about 40k debt when all is said and done; I'm not rich, but I am determined to pursue the career I want - even if it means that, Titanic-like, I will break myself over the cold, cold iceberg of financial pain, strain, and misery.

Everything seems to be drawing to a close far too quickly. One of the things that I must remember to do is to personally thank each of my professors with a handwritten note letting them know how much their help and instruction has meant to me. Is this nerdly kissing up? Maybe, but the other, more sinister, purpose to the note will be to solidly establish an e-mail connection that I believe will help me as I crawl through graduate school over the next year.