Thursday, July 12, 2018

Aging Disappointments

Trying right now not too feel demoralized about life's disappointments. As my body ages, gets heavier, and slowly breaks down in ways not easily fixed, I find that I am having to confront the end of my life with increasing seriousness. Of course, I do not expect it to end anytime in the next thirty years. Still, life's realities make one pensive.

The thing about aging that I haven't fully grappled with is how some problems are permanent with no easy solutions. For example, my biological father seems intent on getting caught in phone and mail scams which no amount of logic, no amount of talking, can convince him to abandon them. His dreams of wealth, which is where he has placed a good deal of self-esteem, has him trapped. Speaking with him, trying to avoid making promises to help him, which in reality are promises to help him become fully entangled in problems, is depressing. He can't understand how he is being taking advantage of rationally, and for some reason, views anyone with money as possessing a magical secret that he is being kept from, the secret of financial wealth. He is a gambler who tells me of his frequent successes at the dice tables. There is not a good way to dissuade him from the danger he leaps at surrounding himself with. How do you prevent a moth from burning up in a campfire. The light, too alluring to be ignored, seduces it to painful destruction.