Saturday, July 07, 2018

A Mundane Summer

Again, I got very little sleep initially last night. Went to bed around midnight, woke up around 4:30 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep. I surfed a lot on my phone, which may have been a poor use of my time, but what else is there to do at that time of day? I guess I could try to write or meditate or something.

I did, in fact, say my morning prayers, and then I "woke up" officially by going in the house fifteen minutes before my parents had to leave for work. I spoke with them about the day's plans, listened the news, and ended up arguing with my mom briefly, but really, I think I was trying to defend myself. She does not "do well" in the morning, and it is a challenge to talk to her amiably at this time of day. Still, I think we avoided an actual argument, which is progress for both of us.

Then, I was at the house by myself. I still didn't feel very tired. After feeding the outdoor cats, I decided to pick some cherries for dad. The cherries on the tree were ripe, the morning, while light, was still cool, so it seemed like a good idea. I know that dad had hoped to make a pie out of them this season. I figured I could try to help out.

Really, I have been grappling with trying to figure out how to make my life more meaningful. I am desperately poor, locked into certain circumstances of my own choosing/creating, and do not have much of an idea on how to change for the better. I don't really know what 'better' looks like from where I am at. It would be nice to see a step or two ahead, but I can't. I figured picking cherries would help me think about it.

Then I made breakfast, picked the stems off the cherries I picked, and sooner than later, went back to bed. I ended up sleeping until 1:30 am in the afternoon. Mom had told me that Dad had heard me snoring. That might mean, that in addition to not getting enough sleep, the sleep I did get was not restful. Perhaps the sleep mask is not working. Perhaps my difficulty in losing weight is due to not getting the rest and oxygen I need. Unfortunately, when I wrote down my meals for the day, I had to acknowledge that I went over my calorie budget again. I guess I am not yet comfortable with feeling hungry. I need to invest time in preparing meals. Spend less time on the computer.

I opted not to have a shower today in order to get to work at a decent hour. Work was light, which was sort of bad because I need to have a firmer and clearer direction concerning the work that needs doing. I can do a lot of things there that other people can't, but when I am caught up on some things, I struggle to find positive ways to keep occupied. On the plus side, before leaving for the night, I did the work dishes: cleaned the coffee mugs, wiped down the counter, put the silverware away.

I would have gone into the cafe tonight, but skipped it because tonight they were charging an eight dollar cover charge. That, plus the money I would have to spend on gas, seemed too much for me. I contemplated going to a cafe in another city, but when I finally was ready to leave work at 7:30, it would be too late to spend any kind of meaningful time there. I would have an hour at most. Instead, I bought a sandwich at Subway, and went home to eat it. By 8pm, I was in bed playing video games on my computer and watching television.

I know this all feels like a waste of time, but I am not sure how to fix it. In some ways, I feel paralyzed by my choices, and the recognition I tend to make bad ones. We'll see how I might be able to fix this in the future.