Monday, June 30, 2003

Awards

After spending several weeks fretting about whether or not I would have the money to attend college, I just found out today that I should have sent a reply on my financial aid award letter to my graduate school about a week ago. I missed the deadline, and they reserve the right to cancel all of the awards that do. I'm hoping that they're not going to cancel, and I'm fairly confident that they won't because I'm just receiving loans, but we'll see.

Yet, on a better note, at work I found out how to disable the messenger program on Internet Explorer. Whenever anyone here would log on to the net, they would recieve several gray text messages from the "messenger service" that were essentially tyring to blackmail the user into buying their pop-up killer. Make no mistake pop-ups and the people who use them are, in my admittedly flawed estimation, pure evil. But the guys behind these messages are worse than that.

Of course, the FREE solution - something that took me about an hour and a half to discover - is to disable it from the control panel. The audacity and offensiveness of these types of pop-ups is amazing. Thankfully, they're gone, and now the only pop-ups I have to endure are the ones I encounter when surfing the Internet. And those I don't mind, because if I find them particularly annoying (which, frankly, is a term that doesn't really capture the negative emotions inspired by pop-ups), I simply stop visiting whatever site it spawned from. Freedom from pop-ups should be the unalienable right of every computer user; I look forward to the day when that goal is acheived.