Monday, June 09, 2003

Concerts

Yesterday night, I took my girlfriend to a Tracy Chapman concert, which was really good and a lot of fun, but when we got there, another couple was already sitting in our seats: row U, number 12 and 13. An usher, about fortyish with a medium length ponytail wearing a wine colored sports coat, quickly stumbled over to us through the purplish-blue dark and examined the tickets; they were exactly the same. (Flash back to a month and a half ago when I bought them - the clerk behind the counter, a young man still struggling with the subtle mysteries of technology, screwed up the tickets three times trying to get them to print out of the machine.) Fortunately, after missing about the first ten minutes of the opening act which wasn't all that great, we got the seats I paid for, and the couple who we "evicted" were moved further to the center, ten rows closer to the stage. I wish we had the option of getting closer to the stage but that's life I guess.

After the concert, we went the city park blocks and talked to an old friend who we both haven't seen in about a year. We sat on a park bench, and as the small hours of the morning burned away, I watched the moon glide through some of the leaves of a smaller tree. Of course, I was really tired, so we went home around 3:00 a.m. Overall, a good day.