Sunday, June 29, 2003

Updates

I'm firmly ensconced in my new job for the summer - although the pay is dismal, and I'm dangeorulsy flirting with the reality of not having any money to pay for anything beyond rent and car insurance. I'm hoping I can slide until the middle of september on the scant savings I have left and make the most of free meals without trying to be the next Freddie the Freeloader.

As for the summer job, I should mention that it is the exact same one that I had last summer, and - by way of explanation - it was during that previous summer that I set-up the managerial system and structure for operating its small web store division. Now, I don't really have to have any great reserves of web knowledge or expertise, which is fortunate, because I truly know next-to-nothing. However, I do seem to know more than the remaining employees, so that has made me the defacto expert. An example, you may ask? Well, last year I registered the virus protection software and faithfully installed the updates almost every other day. Turns out, no-one ever updated the software after I left - a year ago . A whole year! That there has not been an infection or system crash during the interim I take as a sign that miracles do, in fact, exist