Thursday, August 28, 2003

Symbols and Transformations

Three things occurred, which taken alone mean nothing, but when viewed within the context of the events of my life during the last two weeks take on a somewhat symbolic meaning. The first, and the most memorable, occurred after purchasing an expensive but beautiful bouquet of purple-esque roses in Big City, the blooms of two of those roses snapped off their stems; The second was the ongoing proximity of Mars, as close to earth as it has been in 60,000 years; and the third occured in the psychology hall of the University I am going to attend in the fall, where I had a major sense of deja vu.

Yesterday, I made the long 2-hour drive to the University and did some exploration. I'm thinking that I may need an apartment down there, but reluctant to make drastic changes, I've been considering commuting instead. I've not made up my mind yet. Nevertheless, among the many things that I did yesterday, besides delivering my undergrad. transcripts noting my reciept of an English degree and besides my obtaining a student I.D., I walked around the surrounding neighborhoods looking for apartments that I might consider renting. Part of my internal struggle over the question of moving is that the rent where I currently live - admittedly a slum - is decidedly cheap. If I rent the cheapest apartment I could find near the University, it would still cost more than the combined price of rent and monthly gas where I live now. I'm also certain that the new place, although close to the college, has more noise, crime, and general rowdiness than where I live now too: It'll be a tough decision. However, this has been the week for changes, so I might just make the leap after all.

According to some, we live in a culture of fear where we overestimate our vulnerability to harm as it is channeled through our prejudice. Could I be projecting and overestimating my own fear? I don't think so, but it is something to think about. Of course, I'll keep you posted on the situation - literally.