Friday, August 01, 2003

Egret (Hunting)

Today was the day for commuting; not only will I drive the approximately two hours it will take to get to Big City tonight, but I have already made several short trips in my car totaling a coupe of hours already. I spend so much time in my car, at work, and in Big City, that I'm beginning to feel a little weird in my own apartment. (Who is the dude who lives here, and why are their chips on the floor.) I think I have still maintained my equanimity about the whole driving thing, and have even learned how to enjoy a car ride without listening to the radio, especially when nothing interesting is on.

On one of these short trips today, I glanced to the left looking straight into a hay field that had recently been cut within the last several weeks. And while glancing left to look into a field of recently cut hay is normally not worth remembering, seeing an Egret hunting for mice is. These kinds of sights are rare enough to feel surprised about when you happen upon them, and for me, rare enough to think about it during the passing of the rest of day. I suppose some might say that this sight was a gift of grace, while others would say that it is merely nothing. For me, it was pretty cool, but nothing mystical, and I think that the whole experience and my reaction to it somehow sums up my mood for the past couple of days.