Friday, August 22, 2003

My best friend T.V.

Although I don't really feel like writing something (partially as a result of not really having anything to say), I figured that I should force myself to at least write a little. Part of the struggle of learning how to write well for me has been developing the discipline needed to practice everyday. Discipline, as a matter of fact, happens to be my personal arch nemesis; I spend much more time with my close personal friend, the television. Television, an always ready friend, can be a jerk sometimes, especially when I have chores to do. Anyway, most people generally assume that art is created by people who have a natural talent for such a thing. For instance, how often have you heard someone say, " I wish I could do that; I just don't have the talent," or instead of talent they say gift or whatever. I betting at least once.

While it's true that talent does play a role in artistic endeavor, the secret happens to be that much of artistic talent is really skill. For example, a musician will pratice scales to help them develop the fingering to play their instrument. But even beyond that, musicians - even really accomplished ones - will spend a long time practicing a particular musical piece that they want to learn. Writing is like music in that way. If you want to write well, then you must write often. I guess the part of the problem is that most people don't consider writing an art. While it can be used as mere communication, it can also be much, much more. It is to that goal that I aspire. (Geez, I sound like a level ten cornball!) Anyhow, all of this merely explains the reason for my entry today. I'm forcing myself to write, so that I can push myself to better writing. And so I can go to sleep tonight without feeling like I wasted the whole day with my best friend, that jerk - the television.