Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Life is Ridiculous

Just today I managed to finish up most of the grad. school paperwork that I had left undone, including the inadvertantly brutal financial aid report, which - thanks to the Divine Big Guy - the school is going to give me even though I had missed the required deadline by a whole week. Today, I even signed up for my first grad. school classes, but I'm not sure which ones I should be taking, or even if I have to sign up at this point at all. (The person in charge of advising students on this is revising the program, and I won't know for sure about any of this until I show up for classes.) And knowing how the Registrar's office is the most unholy of college departments with the virtually unlimited power to screw up the most careful of plans, I figured that I should get my proverbial foot in the door by signing up for a couple of classes, and then trusting to fate that I will have the ability to change anything later.

Although I'm not one hundred percent sure, I think that, in order to fulfill my eventual graduation requirements, I'm going to have to take another foreign language besides the one I took during my undergraudate years. I've been struggling a bit with deciding which one I should try to learn. Essentially, Life is ridiculous, and I know this because of instances like these. On the basis of absolutely no knowledge whatsoever - on a hunch that may be wrong - I have to make a snap decision that will likely affect the next two years of my life. So, for no reason whatsoever, besides the fact that the class is offered in the afternoon, I decided that I will try to learn German. What the hell. But I hope I remember this in the future - how a thirty second (at most) decision will impact the course of my next two years, because I'm sure it will make for a good laugh depending on what kind of mood I'm in.