Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Lifting Fog

Now that I've had a full two and a half weeks here at grad. school, things, although still a little incomprehensible at times, are beginning to fall into place. My personal life continues to be an unrepentant disaster, but my professional life seems to be starting. I can now navigate my way confidently through all of the tasks that seem to be required of me so far, and I have been talking with some of the other grad. students who feel a little like I do. Now that the basic fog of "how do I fit in this place," has begun to lift, I now have to focus seriously on my studies. My grades, while good in an average sort of way, have to be brought up; and to successfully do that, I have to begin both of my seminar papers very soon. The problem is, of course, that I have to write about something that I still don't quite understand, but at least I have a good idea of where I should start.