Thursday, October 02, 2003

Kidneys

Today has been about as productive as I can make it, although I do intend to study my brains out this evening. I'm telling everyone that if this was a reality television show, I would have been voted off the island by about 3:00 p.m. today. The positive things I've accomplished have been that I've finally found out where the computer lab for the GTF's are, the discovering of which was not unlike finding secret elephant burial grounds. I also signed up for medical insurance through the union; so, I can be really sick now without worrying about dying outright from what health professionals usually term "lack of care." Cultivating a continuing taste for the surreal, I had the following conversation with the union rep. She mentioned that I needed to sign the "transplant form" that covered 24 months of something. I hadn't heard what she said so I asked what the form was about:

She: "This just means that you can't get a transplant for two years, if it is pre-existing condition."

Me: "So, if I need a kidney - then, I'm out of luck."

She: "Yes, if the reason you needed one was pre-existing. But, if you needed one a week from now."

Me: "Like if I were stabbed in the small of the back or something, and the blade punctured a kidney, then. . ."

She: "Then you could get a kidney no problem."

In retrospect, I shouldn't have been so creepy, but the above conversation actually helped me figure out that they were denying transplants outright in every circumstance. I guess it's my lower class upbringing that inspires me to say stuff like this and not think about how it might sound until later.

On a final note, some of the computers here at the University do not have 3.5 disk drives anymore. Nor do they have a server (at least I don't think they do) where students can save their work to access later. So what the hell am I supposed to do? The answer apparently is I should buy a jump drive, aka a flash drive or thumb drive(?), that I carry around with me in order to save my work on that. Of course, they sell them at the bookstore for small fee. Although I'm not afraid of new technology, I hate to be forced to buy stuff like this when I'm not really prepared for it.