Thursday, July 17, 2003

Sunburnt Summer

Recently, I received the letter from my graduate school of choice explaining the TA (teaching assistantship) job requirements to me, some of which included having office hours, attending some of the undergraduate classes, grading papers, preparing presentations, and maybe even, giving a lecture. All of this sounds very interesting; it is beginning to feel more like an official job rather than an extension of my undergraduate studies, which is something that I'm honestly looking forward to. At some point, I'm going to travel to the city where the grad. school is at and spend a whole day exploring, investigating, and doing general reconnaisance.

Unfortunately, the summer schedule that I have chosen for myself remains hectic. I thought about many of things that I still have to do as I drove the hundred plus miles from the big city back to my meager home this morning. (One of those things includes buying some sun screen because my left arm - the one that normally hangs outside of the window on top of the car door - is getting rather burned. Each arm is now a separate color.) My diploma is messed up; despite all of the checking and double checking I tried to do during my last two terms, the registrar still goofed it up. I've also fallen a bit behind with my job, but thankfully, I think I can catch up.

Frankly, I need to figure out how to balance my social life - something I enjoy tremendously - with the part of my life that includes a job and school. At one point last year, I thought that during this summer (2003), I would work hard at applying at all of scholarships I could, devoting several hours to writing great scholarship essays. I even thought I would try to write a book - short stories at least. Unless I change tack, it is not going to happen, although I have at least been able to read a couple of books; so in that regard, I have done at least one thing that I wanted to do. We'll see what the future holds.